TC = Truman Capote, "In Cold Blood"
TW = Tom Wolfe, "The Right Stuff"
HST = Hunter S. Thompson, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"
PG = Philip Gerard, "Creative Nonfiction"
||Joan Didion from "Slouching
||Joe Eszterhas, "Charlie
||Norman Mailer, from
"Executioner's Song" or "Armies of the Night"
||Tracy Kidder, from "Home
||David Isay (transcript of Sunshine
||Gay Talese, from "Thy
||Michael Herr, from
||Ernest Hemingway, from "Death
in the Afternoon"
||John Hersey, from
||Lillian Ross, "Portrait of
||Humorists: Dave Barry, P.J.
O'Rourke, Molly Ivins, Calvin Trillin
- Course introduction; New Journalism, Literary Journalism and the
Nonfiction Novel; Course expectations and requirements
- Topics: Truman Capote and the Nonfiction Novel; "In Cold
- A&E Biography video on Capote
- Reading Assignment: First 50 pages TC; First 2 chapters PG
- Topic: Dissecting In Cold Blood; The Story Idea and the
Importance of Reporting
- Reading Assignment: TC through the first 2 sections; PG,
chapters 3 & 7
- Topic: Completing In Cold Blood; Columnists, humor and
- Reading Assignment: Finish In Cold Blood; Southern,
"Twirling at Ole Miss" (handout)
- Topic: Hippie Culture New Journalism as response to Social
- Reading Assignment: Joe Ezsterhas, from "Charlie Simpson's
Apocalypse"; HST, "The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved"; PG, Chapters 5-6
- Story #1 (wild card) due at beginning of class.
- Topic: Book critique/analysis due at beginning of class
- Topic: Death & War: From the front lines & other grisly
scenes: John Hersey; Michael Herr; John Steinbeck & Ernie Pyle (Now, there's a dinner party guest list)
- Reading Assignment: Hersey, "The Unforgettable Fire"
(excerpt); Herr, "Hell Sucks" (excerpt); Pyle, "The Story of Capt. Waskow"; John Steinbeck, "Lilli Marlene;"
PG, Chapter 8
- Story #2 (feature) due at the beginning of class.
- Topic: Lillian Ross; Joan Didion; Edna Buchanan
- Reading Assignment: Lillian Ross, "Portrait of
Hemingway"; Joan Didion, "Some Dreamers of the Golden Dream"; Trillin's New Yorker article on Edna Buchanan; PG,
- Topic: Class Assignments review; Using First Person
- Topic: Dr. William McKeen - The contribution of Tom Wolfe to
- Reading Assignment: TW entire book
- Story #3 (crime) due at the beginning of class.
- Topic: Norman Mailer and special guest star: Mailer's Ego
- Reading assignments: Mailer handouts: PG, Chapters 10-11
- Story #4 (wild card) due at beginning of class.
- Topic: Dr. Gonzo & the Banshee's Scream: Hunter S. Thompson
blurs the lines between fact and fiction (plus Tracy Kidder, Joe McGinniss, John McPhee & Gay Talese)
- Reading Assignment: Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas; Jacket
Copy (rejected) for F&L; Kidder, McGinniss, McPhee and Talese selections TBA
- Author research paper due at the beginning of class
- Thanksgiving holiday, NO CLASS
- The End of Our Journey, out on the edge of the desert
- George Plimpton; The Art of Interviewing and the use of Oral
- Reading Assignments: Plimpton, from "Paper Tigers" or
Capote bio; PG, Chapter 4
- Real Dialogue: The relationship between sound and print David
Isay's "Sunshine Hotel"
- Class Party
- Reading Assignment: "Sunshine Hotel" transcript
- All published rewrites due with original graded work for
- Story #5 (public affairs) due at beginning of class.