Questions for the battle against segregation in America
Please, mark your answers on the bubble sheet with a number 2 pencil:
Choose only one answer based on information in the article.
(do not go back to the article after you start this test.)
17. In the article, the struggle for desegregation in the South also
0. white student protests and petitioning
1. a struggle between state and federal authority
2. the evolution of the doctrine of confederalism
3. a struggle between state police and federal troops
18. What does the NAACP stand for ?
0. National Activists for American Colored People
1. Negro Activists for the Advancement of Colored People
2. National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
3. National Association for the American Colored People
19. According to the article, what case launched the "equalitarian
revolution" in American jurisprudence?
0. Brown v. Board of Education
1. Sweatt v. Painter
2. Plessy v. Ferguson
3. McLaurin V. Oklahoma
20. In Little Rock case and at other southern universities, what did
students do ?
0. staged sit-ins and freedom rides
1. held protests and signed petitions
2. kept themselves away from any violence
3. marched on capitol hill
21. A year after Herman Sweatt entered the University, segregation
cases were filed in the states of....
0. Kansas, South Carolina, Virginia, and New Mexico.
1. Kansas, North Carolina, Virginia, and California.
2. Kansas, South Carolina, Florida, and Delaware.
3. Kansas, South Carolina, Virginia, and Delaware.
22. In the Oklahoma case, the Supreme Court held that the plaintiff
was entitled to enroll in the University. The Oklahoma Regents
0. separating black and white students in cafeterias and
1. creating the separate-but-equal clause.
2. not allowing black students to attend primary and
3. integrating black and white students in cafeterias and
23. What court case occurred in 1950?
0. Marshall v. Board of Regents of the University of Virginia
1. Sweatt v. Painter
2. Brown v. Board of Education
3. Plessy v. Ferguson
24. The intervention of the federal government and the deployment
of the National Guard occurred in the Little Rock crisis of ...
0. 1990 and at the desegregation of the University of Mississippi.
1. 1954 and the desegregation of the University of Alabama.
2. 1800 and at the desegregation of the University of Louisiana.
3. 1954 and the desegregation of the University of Mississippi.
25. According to one attorney s belief, the battle against
segregation had to begin at the highest academic level
to mitigate fear of race mixing that could....
0. create even greater hostility and reluctance on the part
1. create even greater hostility and reluctance on the part
of white judges.
2. create even greater hostility and reluctance on the part of
3. create even greater hostility and reluctance on the part of
the Supreme Court.
26. What was the role of Brown II?
0. showing federal government power in the South
1. carrying out the 1954 case decision.
2. signaling the emerging primacy of equality as a guide to
3. limiting the effectiveness and impact of the 1954 case.
27. The Brown v. Board of Education case declared what?
0. classification based on race violated the 14th amendment
1. classification based on race violated the 1st amendment
2. classification based on race violated the constitution
3. classification based on race did not violate the
28. Who believed that the battle against segregation had to begin
at the highest academic level?
0. Dwight D. Eisenhower
1. Herman Sweatt
2. Charles H. Houston
3. Leon Ransom
29. What school did Herman Sweatt enter?
0. The University of Florida law school
1. The University of Texas law school
2. The Temple University
3. The Harvard University law school
30. When was the Plessy v. Ferguson case held?
0. in 1700
1. in 1956
2. in 1896
3. in 1938
31. What was the 1950 McLaurin decision?
0. The external separation is constitutional.
1. The external separation is unconstitutional.
2. The discarding of separate law schools for whites
and blacks is unconstitutional.
3. The internal separation is unconstitutional.
32. According to the last paragraph in the article, what "one fact"
0. federal troops had never before been used to protect
the rights of black citizens.
1. federal troops had never before been used to protect
the lives of black citizens.
2. the United States Supreme Court lacked the power
to enforce its decision.
3. the United States Supreme Court lacked the ability
to make a sound decision.
When you are done, click here!