Fish and steamed vegetables
Here's a delicious tilapia meal that you can make in 20 minutes.
- Two pieces of fresh tilapia
- Italian bread crumbs
- seasoning: salt, pepper, garlic, turmeric, cinnamon
- vegetable oil
- raw vegetables
Pour a cup of breadcrumbs onto a large plate. Add the seasoning to the breadcrumbs. Mix well. Coat both sides of the fish with the breadcrumbs.
- Add two tablespoons of vegetable oil to the frying pan. Turn the stove onto medium-hot.
- Wait three to four minutes for the oil to heat up, then place each piece of fish onto the frying pan.
- After five minutes, use a spatula to turn the fish over. The side facing up should be golden-brown.
- While the fish cooks, put some vegetables into a small, microwaveable pot. Add a tablespoon of water and microwave, on high, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- The second side should also be golden-brown now. Use the spatula to cut the fish in half. If the inside is white, it's done. If not, give it two to three minutes on the stove.
- Turn off the stove. Add salt to the steamed vegetables, and you're done!
Cost: $4.10 per serving
At Publix, a pound of fresh tilapia costs $7.99. I bought two slices, and the price was $4.71. The bag of vegetables cost $2.50. To price by serving size, the fish cost about $2.35, the vegetables cost $1.00 and the breadcrumbs cost $0.75. That's a total cost of $4.10 for this meal.
Back to recipes