Scotland has a population of 5.3 million people according to a 2011 census, it's capital is Edinburgh and the country was originally founded in 843 AD. It's second largest city is Glasgow, both of which are located in the South of the country. Scotland is roughly the size of South Carolina, and cover's just short of half of Great Britain.
In 1999, Scottish Parliament was opened by Her Majesty the Queen, the first Scottish Parliment in 300 years.Until 1603 Scotland had its own King.
Quick Fun Facts about Scotland
- Scotland has 790 islands, only 130 are inhabited however.
- Edinburgh was the first city in the world which had its own fire-brigade.
- Edinburgh, like Rome was built on 7 hills.
- Scottish Gaelic is spoken by 1.4% of the population.
- Scotlands official animal is the Unicorn.
- Scotland has over 600 square miles of lochs, the most famous being Loch Ness, home of the mysterious Loch Ness monster.