Financial Aid

Financial aid when studying abroad is tricky. Summer programs don't qualify you for much of anything. Non-UF sponsored programs don't qualify you for any aid from your school or government, though some private programs offer their own aid and scholarships. If your are applying for a UF sponsored program, so basically any program run by UF, and are hoping to receive financial aid there are a few things you must do.

  • FAFSA. This abbreviation should not be foreign at all but incase it is FAFSA stands for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. FAFSA is the only way you can qualify for an receive aid from the government like the Pell grant. It is also the way your college or university calculates your financial need so they can put together a package that meets that need.

  • In order to complete your FAFSA you need to submit copies of your completed tax return forms as well as your parent or guardian's tax forms, if you are still their dependent. So file early.

  • To finish your study abroad application UF requires your financial aid adviser to sign off on your application paperwork. So It would be a good idea to know who your adviser is and inform him or her of your plans. Who knows, your adviser may actually be a great resource when it comes to financing the extra costs that come with studying abroad.