- know the number for the park rangers and local authorities.
- know the number for the nearest hospital or emergency center.
- check the location's website to see if you will have to pay any fees to camp there.
- check the group-size limit if traveling with a large group.
- remember fire safety and check the current campfire regulations.
LEAVE NO TRACE
In an effort to reduce the impact of humans on nature, a group called Leave No Trace has made a seven-step guideline to keep in mind while camping. For a more detailed description, visit the LNT website.
- Plan ahead and prepare.
- Travel and camp on durable (i.e. rock, gravel, dry grasses or snow) surfaces.
- Dispose of waste properly. (What you bring in, bring out.)
- Leave what you find. (The goal is to preserve nature.)
- Minimize campfire impact.
- Respect wildlife.
- Be considerate of other visitors.