The following is a list of rule changes that have occurred in basketball over the years.
- In 1988-89, the number of referees assinged to a game was changes from two to three referees. Comprised of three positions: Lead, Trail and C.
- In 1980-81, the 3-point shot became a permanent rule. It is the only non-foul shot that an official must provide a signal.
- In 1954-55, the 24-second shot clock was introduced. Although it is not used in intramurals or high school basketball, both NCAA basketball and the NBA utilize a shot clock.
- In 1994-95, any player who committed two flagrant fouls during a game would be ejected.
- In 1950-51, after a free throw was made in the last three minutes of a game, a jump ball was used instead of the ball going to the team that fouled.
For more information all the rule changes up to the 2008 visit Rules