The Big Bang Theory (2007)
Premiere: CBS; September 24, 2007
Plot: "The show is centered on five characters: roommates Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper, two physicists who work at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech); Penny, a blonde waitress and aspiring actress who lives across the hall; and Leonard and Sheldon's equally geeky and socially awkward friends and co-workers aerospace engineer Howard Wolowitz and astrophysicist Rajesh Koothrappali. The geekiness and intellect of the four guys is contrasted for comic effect with Penny's social skills and common sense. Three other supporting characters have also been promoted to starring roles: Leslie Winkle, a physicist colleague at Caltech and, at different times, a lover of both Leonard and Howard; Bernadette Rostenkowski, Howard's fiancee, who is a microbiologist and part-time waitress alongside Penny; and Amy Farrah Fowler, a neurobiologist who joins the group after being matched to Sheldon on a dating website."
- 2009 TCA Award for Best Comedy Series
- 2010 People's Choice Award for Favorite Comedy
- 2010 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series (Character Sheldon: Jim Parsons)
- 2011 Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series-Comedy or Musical (Character Sheldon: Jim Parsons)
- 2011 Emmy Award for Best Actor in a Comedy Series (Character Sheldon: Jim Parsons)