Pumpkin Pie from Scratch: Do It Yourself!
On this page is the same recipe that I used when I made pumpkin pie from scratch. It includes an Oreo crust, although you can substitute graham crackers if you'd like. The recipe is 10 easy steps! The video below is an interview with Joy Minchin, a senior at the University of Florida and expert baker, who recently made her own pumpkin pie (from scratch!) using this recipe.
1 large pot
1 10-inch deep-dish pie plate and pie crust
1 large serrated knife
1 ice cream scoop
1 pie pumpkin
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
3 cups cooked pumpkin
1 1/2 cans of evaporated milk, 12 oz each
24 whole Oreo cookies
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
1. Choose a pie pumpkin: These are sweeter than most pumpkins. Choose one that is firm and about 6-8 inches in diameter. Rinse it before you begin baking.
2. Make the pie crust: Blend the 24 Oreo cookies in a food processor until they resemble crumbs, then add in the melted butter and blend. Press this mixture into the bottom of your deep-dish pie plate. Refrigerate for one hour.
3. Scoop out the pumpkin's insides: Cut the pumpkin in half with the serrated knife. Scoop out everything inside the pumpkin with the ice cream scoop. You can save the pumpkin seeds and roast them later!
4. Bake: Place the pumpkin pieces face down in a container. (You may need to cut the pumpkin into smaller pieces to make it fit.) Cover the container with a lid and bake it at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until the pumpkin is soft. This should take about 45-90 minutes, so make sure you check the pumpkin regularly.
5. Separate the cooked pumpkin from the skin: Once the pumpkin is soft, use a spoon to scoop the cooked pumpkin "meat" from the skin. The cooked pumpkin should resemble a kind of puree.
6. Puree: Blend or puree the cooked pumpkin for about 2-3 minutes, until it has a smooth, even texture.
7. Mix pie ingredients: Combine the blended, cooked pumpkin with the eggs, sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, ginger, and evaporated milk. Mix until well-blended.
8. Fill the pie: Pour the blended ingredients into your container with the Oreo pie crust. Make sure to leave about 1/2 inch of space for your pie to rise.
9. Bake: Bake the pie at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for another 45-60 minutes. The pie will be done if a clean knife is inserted into it and comes out clean.
10. Cool and Enjoy: Let the pie cool for at least 15 minutes. Then top with whipped cream (if you wish) and enjoy!