On of the exciting parts of anticipating what time slot your favorite team will play in each week is guessing which announcers will be calling the game. Some games, like the Thursday night ESPN game or the CBS have fixed announcers. Other pairings are randomly distributed.
Here are some popular (or at least well-known) announcing teams for college football weekends in the South and beyond:
- ESPN Thursday night: Rece Davis, Craig James and Jesse Palmer
- ACC Network : Tim Brant and Dave Archer
- SEC Network: Dave Neal and Andre Ware
- ESPN early games: Dave Pasch and Chris Spielman
- CBS: Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson
- ABC/ESPN regional games: Mike Patrick and Craig James
- ABC/ESPN regional games: Sean McDonough and Matt Millen
- ESPN primetime games (usually SEC): Brad Nessler and Todd Blackledge
- FX: Gus Johnson, Charles Davis and Tim Brewster
- ABC/ESPN Gameday game (except for SEC games): Brent Musburger and Kirk Herbstreit
When watching a game, professional broadcasters, such as the preceeding will say something that just does not make a whole lot of sense. Awful Announcing is an entertaining and informational blog that keeps track of announcing oddities and schedules throughout the week.
Interestingly enough, the person listed twice for calling popluar match ups is on the blog's "Mount Rushmore" of "awful announcing."