On Oct. 19, 1906, The News, a student-run newspaper for the University of Florida and the community was born. The name soon changed to The University News for its first published edition in October 1906. The paper printed every two months then once every two weeks. A yearlong subscription costs readers $1. The University News struggled with production due to slumps in advertising sales. Picture of Alligator Office

The struggle to raise sufficient revenues forced the paper to cease production of the paper. Six years following the News' introduction, The Florida Alligator was born. It made its debut on Oct. 22, 1912. Students witnessed progression with content and design when the Alligator published photographs for the first time. The Alligator saw dramatic changes through hardships, national news and struggles of power in the 1920s through the 1970s.

The most influential was the publication of abortion referral services. This was prohibited in the state of Florida at the time. UF administration and the Alligator struggled to find a balance. Sixteen months after the abortion fliers appeared in the Alligator, the administration cut the paper loose. The paper was sold to a newly formed student-controlled corporation, Campus Communications, which owns the company to this day. The Alligator moved its offices to 1728 W. University Ave, and now rests at 1105 W. University Ave.

In 1995, The Alligator was one of the first college newspapers to lay claim to space on the World Wide Web. Since 1965, The Alligator has claimed more than 30 awards for journalism excellence from organizations such as the Florida Press Association, the National Newspaper Association and the Hearst Foundation Awards. Alumni who have won the Pulitzer Prize are David Finkel (2006), Ian Johnson (2001) and Buddy Davis (1971).