"Me and my husband were happily married for 10
years. Ever since we got our computer, I go to bed
alone, while he speaks to all kinds of women in the
chat rooms. I'm on the verge of filing for divorce.
Am I wrong to be jealous of a computer and am I
wrong to consider this cheating?" (The Straits Times,
1999, p. 11)*
According to research done by Kimberly Young, the
executive director of the Center for On-Line Addiction
in Bradford, Penn., the types of Internet addiction include:
- Cybersexual addiction
- Compulsive use of adult websites for pornography.
- Cyber-relationship addiction
- Over-involvement in online relationships.
- Net compulsions
- Obsessive online gambling, shopping or day trading.
- Information overload
- Compulsive web surfing or database searches.
- Computer addiction
- Obsessive computer game playing (Doom or
Solitaire, for example)