Both golf and tennis are widely played sports that attract many vacationers to places that have exceptional facilities. Many resorts develop these courts and courses to become signatures of their property.
There are approximately 26.4 million American golfers. There are 16,000 golf courses in America with 1,300 that are part of a resort. Many resorts have multiple courses, such as Pinehurst in North Carolina. This 100+ year-old resort boasts eight signature courses. Many resorts will offer golf packages that will include a reduced room rate and course fee (13).
Golf is known to attract people of all ages. Young people are picking up the sport and older people are perfecting their skills. Resorts are often successful in offering golf clinics.
Golf Course Design
Many things need to be taken into consideration when designing a golf course. Here is a list in order of importance according to Robert Christie Mill (12):
- Safety to golfers and passersby
- Flexibility different lengths of tees to handle golfers of varying abilities
- Shot value - variety of shots, lengths and targets
- Fairness placement and severity of hazards
- Progression sequence of holes
- Flow movement of golfers around the course
- Balance distribution of par
- Maintenance costs long-term and short-term
- Construction planning cost-benefit analysis of major design features
- Aesthetics harmony, proportion, balance, rhythm and emphasis
- Tournament qualities ample yardage and spectator facilities
Major Golf Resorts (13):
- Greenbrier, West Virginia
- Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- Doral, Miami, Florida
- Hilton Head, South Carolina
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Like golf, tennis is a sport enjoyed by people of all ages. Unlike golf, tennis can be played in shorter time incriments and may also be played in various styles. Today, many resorts boasts clusters of tennis courts available for guests to use. Many resorts become hosts to tournaments, bringing fans of the sport and someimtes national attention.
The original surface of tennis courts, dating back to the 11th century, was grass. Currently, there are 14 types of different surfaces (13).
Tennis Court Design
The following considerations in tennis court design are vital (13):
- Orientation avoid looking into the sun
- Surface - porous or non-porous
- Type of court hard surface, clay or grass
- Support facilities pro shop, snack shop
- Capacity six courts per acre, 30 60 members per court
Major tennis resorts (13):
- Amelia Island Plantation, Florida
- Colony Beach & Tennis Club, Longboat Key, Florida
- Naples Bath & Tennis, Florida
- Topsl, Destin, Florida
Some of Mobil Five-Star Award Winning golf and tennis- based resorts of 2005 are (8):
- The Broadmoor, Colorado Springs,Colorado
- Woodlands Resort & Inn, Summerville, South Carolina
- The Lodge at Sea Island Golf Club, St. Simons Island, Georgia