Did YOU Know???
Did you know that 9 million women and girls in Afghanistan had no rights since the Taliban took over in 1996?
- Women had to wear a burqua
- Women were beaten and stoned for not wearing proper attire
- Women were not allowed to work or go out in public with out a male relative
- Professionals had been forced from their jobs
- Had to wear silent shoes so they were not heard
- An Afghan women died every 30 minutes while giving birth to a new born because they could not be seen by male doctor
- Women who disobey were beaten or executed
Before the Taliban took over, Afghan women were:
- 70% school teachers
- 40% doctors
- 50% civilian of the government workforce
Today, as a new form of government is in control, women can resume back to schools and make up for the lost years. Still under filthy conditions and poverty they are eager to learn and forget the years of torture. Many still wear their burqua araid they may be beaten in the streets. It may take years for them to recover such brutal conditions.