At an elegant Korean dinner, the first course might be ("kujulpan"). Strips of cooked meat and vegetables are arranged in a klarge sectioned dish with a stack of Korean pancakes in the center. The fillings are wrapped in the pancakes in the center. It is good for an hors d' oeuvre.
Preparation procedure for nine-section dish ("kujulpan")
Ingredients (4 servings)
- A:3 oz. beef, 1 tsp.soy sauce, 2 tsp. chopped green onion
- 1/2 tsp. sesame salt, 1/2 tsp chopped garlic, 1 tsp. sugar
- B: 1/3 Ib. shrimp, salt, vinegar
- C: 1/2 cucumber, 3oz. carrot, 2tsp.salt, 2 tsp. sesame oil
- D: 3 oz. bamboo shoots, i tsp. sugar, sesame oil
- E: 6 dried brown, oak mushrooms, 1 tsp. soy sauce, 1/2 tsp. sugar, sesame oil
- F: 1 egg, salt
- G: 3 oz. bellflower roots, 1tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp.sesame oil, 1/2 tsp. garlic
- H:1 cup flour, 1 cup water, salt
- I: 1tbsp. chopped pine nuts
- Remove the entails from the srimp. Insert toothpicks into the shrimps and scald them in boiling water; remove the shells. Cut the flesh into thin strips and mix with the salt, sugar, and vinegar.
- Cut the beef into strips, season itt with A ingredients and fry.
- Cut the carrott and cucumber into strips and sprinkle salt. Squeeze out the water and fry. Cut the bamboo shoots into strips and fry.
- Fry the beated egg and cut it into 2" long strips.
- Scald and shared the bellflower roots finely. Fry in the sesame oil and mix them with the G ingredients.
- mix and beat the H ingredients till the batter is smooth. and make thin pancakes.
- Layer the pancakes in the center section of the 9-section dish topping each one with a little powdered pine nut. Then arrange the other 8 ingredients.
Persimmon punch ("sujunggwa")
It is the one of popular traditional drink in Korea. Usually Korean drinks it in winter. It is also healthy drink which contains lots of vitamin C.
Preparation procedure for persimmon punch ("sujunggwa")
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 10 dried persimmons, 1/3 Ib. ginger, 1/4 oz. stick cinnamon
- 13 cups water, 2 cups sugar, 2 tbsp. pine nus
- Remove the seeds from the dried persimmons and replace them with four or five pine nuts.
- Wash and scrape ythe ginger and slice it thinly. Simmer the ginger and stick cinnamon with the water until the strong taste draws well.
- Add the sugar and briefly boil again.
- Pour this syrup over the dried persimmons in a large bowl.
- When the persimmons are soft, serve them adding the syrupy liquid and sprinkleing whole pine nuts on the top of each serving. Hint: cold the drink and you can get much better taste!!
| Home | Characteristics of Korean food | About "kimchi" | Meat dishes Meat dishes with vegetable |
| Soups |
| salads | Appetizer and dessert | North Korean report | Useful links |