Tips for Adjusting Levels in Photographs
To Adjust the brightness, contrast and midtones in an image:
1. Click on IMAGE > ADJUST > LEVELS. This displays a histogram of the picture.
2. Click the PREVIEW box on to see how the picture changes as you adjust the levels.
3. Drag the black triangle to the right to increase the contrast.
4. Drag the white triangle to the left to brighten the highlights.
5. Drag the gray triangle to find the best midtones.
6. Drag the end points in to the beginning of the histogram in each of the colors.
7. Click OK
Here's an example of an adjustment in levels (original photo is on the left):
Photo by Kelly Danforth
Send questions, comments and suggestions to me email@example.com.