The Olympic games will take place August 8-August 24.
Beijing beat out Paris, Toronto, Istanbul and Osaka for the right to host the Olympics.
Some people are worried about possible protests in Beijing regarding Tibet. Another area of concern is the air quality in the city. The level of air is two to three times above what is considered safe. The government of Beijing promises to take care of these problems before the Games start.
- Events for swimming will take place in the Beijing National Aquatics Centre. Swimming will start on August 10 and end on the 21st with a two-day break in between.
- Basketball will be played in the newly constructed Wukesong Indoor Stadium. Basketball medal events will be held on August 23 and 24
- The soccer finals will take place in the Beijing National Stadium where the opening ceremonies will also take place.
- Soccer preliminary matches will take place outside of Beijing in Shanghai, Qinhuangdao, Tianjin and Shenyang. Soccer medal events will be held on August 21 and 23. Other Sports
- Gymnastics - August 12-15 August 17-19 August 23-24
- Track and Field- August 15-24
- Tennis- August 16-17
- Baseball August 23 finals
- Softball- August 21 finals