Two of the places where corporate ownership of the media is most apparent are radio and television. In 1996 and again in 2003, the FCC "deregulated" (i.e. got rid of) many media ownership laws, paving the way for giant corporations to strengthen their already staggering media empires. Several communities are fighting back by creating Low-Power FM Stations or by setting up pirate stations. If you are interested in hearing more diversity on your local dial, support the movement for community radio.
The following are a list of independent, non-corporate and decidedly progressive radio stations and info sites.
- Americans for Radio Diversity
- The Center for Democratic Communications
- National Federation of Community Broadcasters
- Prometheus Radio Project
- Microradio Implementation Project
- Media Access Project - Low Power Radio
- Pacifica Radio
- Free Radio Berkeley
- Beat Radio, Minneapolis
- Radio Volta, Philly
- WPKN 89.5, Bridgeport, CT
- KOOP 91.7, Austin Community Radio
- WDOA, Massachusetts
- Radio Free Richmond
- Coming Soon: WGOT Gainesville Community Radio!!