How to Help: Make a Difference in your World
Any time you save energy, you are helping to fight global warming. The biggest cause of global warming is the burning of fossil fuels for energy. Carbon dioxide is released into the atmosphere which warms the Earth.
Simple steps to follow to reduce global warming pollution:
- Choose an efficient vehicle. A car that gets 20 miles per gallon emits about 50 tons of carbon dioxide over its lifetime. Choose an efficient car that is the least-polluting. It will help the environment and save you money on gas.
- Carpool or drive less. Choose alternatives to driving or carpool, and combine daily activities so multiple trips are not necessary.
- Recycle. Reduce, reuse and recycle all kinds of materials.
- Plant trees. More trees will help absorb excess carbon dioxide. Trees can also provide shade to keep buildings at more even temperatures so they will use less energy.
- Shop for energy-effecient appliances. This will reduce pollution from power plants and it'll save money on electricity. Upgrading household appliances also saves money and electricity because modern appliances consume more energy.
- Replace light bulbs with compact flourescent bulbs. These bulbs last 10 times as long as regular light bulbs and will lower electricity bills.
- Be heard. Send messages to government officials informing them that it is important to you to take steps to finding solutions to global warming.
- Use weatherstripping in your home. Cut your heating and cooling expenses and reduce the consumption of energy by using weatherstripping to seal windows and doors. Be sure that your home has adequate insulation.
- If possible, choose renewable energy. If your state has the option of renewable energy, that which is powered by wind or solar energy, opt for that supplier and save energy and money.