Fast Horses of Marion County
Timeline 1970 to 1979
- High Echelon of Ocala wins Belmont Stakes.
- Calder Race Course opens.
- Florida Breeders Sales Association has eight voting members.
- John A. Neurd, trainer and breeder at Tartan Farms, inducted into the Hall of Fame.
- Neurd trained 27 stakes winners and five champions including Dr. Fager, the only horse to win four championships in one year.
- Billionaire George Steinbrenner, owner of the New York Yankees and a global shipping business, buys farm property in Ocala and begins raising racehorses.
- Joe O'Farrell splits with the Florida Breeders' Sales Co. after 16 years.
- Starts a rival sales company, the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company.
- Foolish Pleasure of Ocala wins Kentucky Derby.
- Fred W. Hooper of Ocala named outstanding breeder
- top horses include Susan's Girl, Precisionist, Crozier, and Copelan.
- Affirmed, born at Harbor View Farm in Ocala, wins the Triple Crown.
- No horse was won it since then. Only 11 horses have ever swept the Triple Crown.
- Affirmed earned nearly $2.4 million in his racing career.
- Ranks 12th among top Florida-bred horses as of Dec. 31, 2002.