Fast Horses of Marion County
Timeline 1940 to 1949
- Carl G. Rose, owner of a highway construction business moves to Ocala, FL.
- Rose buys farm property on State Road 200 for $10 an acre calls it Rosemere Farm.
- It is the first thoroughbred horse farm in Ocala.
- Rose was one of the first breeders in the industry to be known as a "commercial" breeder, one who bred strictly to sell as
opposed to racing his own stock.
- Rose's two-year-old filly, Gornil, wins a race at Miami's Tropical Park
becoming the first Florida-bred horse to win a race in Florida.
- 18 registered thoroughbred foals born in Marion County