Remeber the Titans. Final Grade: B
One of the benefits of Remember the Titans being a newer
movie is the bonus material available on DVD's. Somel of these inaccuracies
were pointed out on the audio commentary by the real Coach Herman Boone
and Coach Bill Yoast while others came from the '71
Original Titans website.
- Coach Yoast had 4 daughters, not just the one, though Sheryl was one
of his daughters names. She is a combination of all four girls.
- Coach Boone had 3 daughters, not just 2.
- Gerry Bertier's accident came after the season was complege. He did
play in the state Championship game.
- T.C. Williams was not the first school in Alexandria to be integrated.
George Washington was. TC was the first integrated football team.
- There was not a huge brawl started by Julius and Gary at camp.
- The first opponent of the season was Herndon, not Hayfield, though
the Titans did play Hayfield during the 1971 season.
- The team did not "dance" its way onto the field or dance
during stretching at any point in the season
|Remember the Titans opened to great reviews in 1999. Read Roger Ebert's
from the Chicago Sun-Times. Ross Anthony of Hollywood Report Card also reviewed
Titans in 1999.
- Petey was removed from offense and put on defense during practice,
not in the middle of a game.
- Louis Lastik was not as big, nor was he as outspoken or as funny as
the actor who portrayed him
|Listen to Trevor Rabins, Titans
- No opposing coaches called Coach Boone a monkey during the season.
Therefore, he did not give any opposing coaches a banana following a
game. The scene sproouted from one opposing coach saying all Titan players
were dogs in a pregame speech to get his own players fired up.
- Bertier's accident involved his car striking a telephone pole, not
getting hit by a truck. He was driving home from the post-season banquet.
- Also he was paralyzed from the chest down, not the waist down.
- The state final wasn't won on the last play of the game. (Titans won
27-0 while the defense held Andrew Lewis High to -5 yards total offense.)
- The characters of Emma Hoyt (Gerry's girlfriend), Coach Tyrell, Alan
Bosley and Ray Boggs were fictitious.
- Sunshine did not kiss Gary in the locker room
- The team did not run at 3 AM at Gettysburg
The two coaches also confirmed that other scenes in the movie did in
fact take place.
- Coach Boone did refuse the job at first because he felt he was only
hired because of his race and he had just been turned down in North
Carolina because of his race.
- Coach Boone threw up before every game (it is only depicted before
the season opener.)
- Players did petition to get Coach Yoast his job back and they did
talk him into staying.
- Though there was tension at first, Yoast and Boone did become good
- Bertier did participate in the Wheelchair Olympics.
Actual Titans results
19-0 vs. Herndon
25-0 vs. Yorktown
26-7 vs. Hayfield
25-0 vs. Jefferson
21-16 vs. Marshall
29-0 vs. Groveton
34-0 vs. Madison
34-0 vs. W & L
27-0 vs. Wakefield
26-0 vs. Ireton
28-0 vs. Annandale
36-14 vs. W.Wilson
27-0 vs. A. Lewis
Team avg. 319 yards/game on offense and gave up 113. Defense forced 34
Watch clips of the real Titans games from 1971. (all clips from '71 Original
Vs. Andrew Lewis
Contact Me Home
8 Seconds Without Limits
Remember the Titans Rudy Polls