Historic Bok Sanctuary, a
National Historic Landmark tourist attraction
Lake Wales, Florida
Assistant Director of Marketing
May 2002 to August 2003
* Implemented marketing plan to increase visitation utilizing a
name change in August 2002.
* Coordinated the announcement and public relations efforts involved
with a name change (formerly Bok Tower Gardens) and press conference at
the Governor's Conference on Tourism in Orlando, including writing
foundational press releases and developing a press kit targeted at media
in a 90-mile radius.
* Hosted on-property writers, reporters and photographers. Pursued
new media leads and relationships.
* Re-branded a 75-year-old attraction to fit the cultural, historic
and eco-tourism tourism market, including working with an external marketing
strategies/advertising firm to complete re-branding materials, including,
but not limited to: Web site (boksanctuary.org)
; on-property and city, county and state road
signage; all collateral materials, including magazine, newspaper, television
and radio advertising, internal communication materials, internal and
external brochures; visitor center orientation video filming and production.
* Coordinated staff training to project new key messages to public.
* Developed promotional items, discounts and sales strategies with
internal departments, including membership and retail.
* Media buying and research, including radio, television, newspaper,
magazine and Internet.
* Community relations, including public speaking at community gatherings
and on-property meetings.
* Participated in county and city level Tourist Development Council
meetings, including event planning with multiple properties and attractions.
* Traveling public relations and sales efforts, i.e. visits to trade
shows and expos, contacting and visiting travel offices and agencies in
* Layout and design of ads, brochures, newsletters, postcards, internet
materials and other collateral and advertising using FrontPage, Quark
Xpress, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and Distiller.
* Established photo library utilizing scanning and digital photography.
Insight Advertising, full-service advertising, marketing, and public
Fort Myers, FL
Account Assistant and Public Relations Coordinator
January 2001 to April 2002
* Company and client public relations, including press releases,
articles, media/contact relationship building, and obtaining tear sheets.
* Copywriting, editing and proofreading of client projects, including:
collateral (brochures, rack cards, postcards, newsletters, etc), direct
mail, Web sites, newspaper and magazines ads, and special projects.
* Coordinated and oversaw jobs from start to finish, including:
client contact in regards to job needs, status report upkeep, estimating,
print buying, scheduling, proofing, and follow-up to completion.
* Coordinated with graphic designers in regards to project requirements
* Managed and implemented creative schedules and deadlines. Scheduled
and ran production meetings. Responsible for agency deadlines.
* Vendor/media contact, including: preparation of purchase orders,
estimate forms/estimating, purchasing research, negotiation, vendor selection,
scheduling, specification requirements, relationship building and upkeep
of vendor/media files, and equipment information.
* Reviewed, analyzed and confirmed client media schedules, tagging
of ads in publications, upkeep of client media and sample books, and media
contact for incorrect runs.
* Assisted account executives with project related tasks as needed.
International Quarterly, literary publication
of poetry, short stories, and art
January to June 1999
* Responsible for review of submissions, including analysis of plot,
relevance to magazine's mission, writing style, grammar, topic,
* Publicity and marketing of the magazine to various media outlets
using advertising, brochures, press releases, writing contests and festivals,
and cash awards.
* Layout and copyediting duties of 40-50 page quarterly publication.
* Communicated with writers regarding status of submissions and
* Contributing writer on Grant Proposal Committee.
University of Florida
January 2004 to current
Master's Program in College of Journalism and Communications;
Florida State University
Graduated: August 2000
Bachelor of Arts - Creative Writing
Minor - Philosophy
* Dean's List - Two Semesters
* Publication in the university's yearly literary review,
Kudzu, for poetry.
* Contributing writer to FSView, the Florida State University newspaper.
* Completed courses in article and essay, screenplay, poetry, and
short story writing; photography; and philosophy.
Truman State University
1996 to 1998
Associate of Arts - Journalism
* Staff writer and copyeditor for The Index, the Truman State newspaper.
* Completed courses in communications and media, including journalism,
advertising, radio, and television courses.
* Gained expertise using the AP Style Manual.
* Publication in the university's yearly literary publication,
The Windfall, for poetry.
* Served as secretary of Alpha Sigma Gamma service sorority for
* Windows and Mac OS, Microsoft Office Suite, FrontPage, Quark Xpress,
Pagemaker, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and Distiller.
* Proficient with digital and 35 mm photography, development, scanning
* Preparation of files for printers, vendors and other users, including
various file formats for different mediums.