Back to Women's:
Return to the Homepage
International competition was introduced when the International Women's Sports Federation was formed in 1924. They hosted their own version of the Olympics and women's basketball was included as one of the events. International competition has seen tremendous growth since then.
Created by Christina White: My E-mail
- In 1953 the U.S. women's basketball team won the gold medal in the World Championships.
- In 1974 the Women's Sports Foundation was formed.
- In July 1976 women's basketball debuts at the Montreal Olympics. The U.S. takes silver.
- In 1984 the U.S. women's basketball team captures its first Olympic gold medal in Los Angeles.
- Then in 1988 the U.S. wins gold medal at the Seoul Olympics.
- And again in 1992 the U.S. wins the bronze medal at the Barcelona Olympics.
- Then on August 4th, 1996 the U.S. women recapture the gold medal in the Centennial Olympics in Atlanta.
Return to Top