Copyright © 2002
Michele K. Jones
|Master of Arts in Mass Communications with a specialization in journalism from The University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.
Will graduate in May 2003. Currently maintaining a 3.63 GPA.
Bachelor of Arts from The University of West Florida, Pensacola, FL.
Major: international studies; minor: communications.
Graduated cum laude in April 2001 with a 3.54 GPA. Received University Honors Scholar distinction from the Honors Program.
|January - April 2002
Editorial Page Editor for The Independent Florida Alligator in Gainesville, FL.
- Worked with the editor-in-chief and members of the editorial board to solidify the paper's stance on a variety of national, state and local issues.
- Wrote daily editorial pieces.
- Selected and edited guest columns and letters-to-the-editor for publication.
- Collaborated with cartoonist to create 2 -3 cartoon ideas each week.
September - December 2001
Editorial Board Member for The Independent Florida Alligator in Gainesville, FL.
- Contributed to the paper's stance on a variety of issues.
- Wrote editorial pieces for this daily newspaper.
Arts and Entertainment Reporter for The Real Paper in Pensacola, FL.
- Edited the events calendar for this weekly newspaper.
- Contributed articles about local theater events and area artists.
|Other Professional Experience
|October 2000 - April 2001
Program Assistant for The University of West Florida Honors Program in Pensacola, FL.
- Planned and organized events such as group trips, banquets, lectures and panel discussions.
- Recruited prospective students at open houses and college fairs.
- Served as a primary resource for students, professors and community members seeking information regarding the program. Produced a weekly e-newsletter for active students.
- Provided administrative support to the director and program coordinator.
May - August 2000
Interim Assistant Manager for The Discovery Channel Store in Pensacola, FL.
- Supervised employees and delegated responsiblity in a fast paced setting.
- Conducted daily operations such as opening and closing the store, reconciling daily figures, compiling payroll, monitoring and processing shipment and communicating with the corporate office.
- Provided product knowledge and service to customers.
February - May 2000
Programs Intern for VSA arts in Washington, DC.
- Copyedited a portion of the VSA arts Career Guide, a large, one-time publication.
- Assisted in the installation of an art exhibit at The World Bank.
- Provided administrative support to the Programs Department of an international, non-profit organization.
|Knowledge of Associated Press style.
Experience with HTML coding.
Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint.
Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Macromedia Dreamweaver.
Skilled in online research, including Lexis-Nexis and various Internet search engines.
Proven ability to work well on deadline and under pressure.
|Michele K. Jones