ARTICLE 1. NAME AND OFFICE.
Name: Ticos en Gainesville
Office: University of Florida, Chemistry Department, Gainesville, Florida.
Contact: Luis Madrigal (president). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Relation with University of Florida: Ticos en Gainesville is a
non-for-profit organization, formed by Costa Rican students at UF, Costa Rican
residents at Gainesville and people interested in Costa Rican culture.
ARTICLE 2. PURPOSES AND ACTIVITIES.
- To promote academic and social cooperation among Costa Rican students at
- To promote social and cultural bonds with the Costa Rican community in
- To promote the Costa Rican culture in Florida State.
- To offer help to new Costa Rican students at UF so that they can get
adapted to their new academic and social life in the best way possible.
- To develop activities that promote a cultural exchange between members
of Ticos en Gainesville and members of the community (Gainesville).
- To finance these activities with resources provided by Ticos en
ARTICLE 3. MEMBERSHIPS.
The types of membership are the next ones:
Student member: Costa Rican students registered at UF.
Associated member: Costa Rican citizens living in Gainesville
and any person interested in Costa Rican culture.
Honorary member: Persons distinguished by the Association because
of their exceptional contributions to the organization.
ARTICLE 4. NON-DISCRIMINATING STATEMENT.
Ticos en Gainesville will not discriminate because of race, creed,
religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin,
or physical disabilities.
ARTICLE 5. MEETINGS.
Ticos en Gainesville shall hold a general meeting, ordinary and mandatory,
once a year. This meeting is the General Assembly. The president of the
Association and the board of directors can also ask for other
extraordinary meetings as frequently as necessary.
ARTICLE 6. FINANCES
Ticos en Gainesville will not have money or values of its own.
It will not pay any money to its members, nor will distribute profits
among them. No one will have special privileges in the access to
merchandise or materials used in its activities.
The monetary resources needed for the association's operation will be
obtained by donations, subsidies and concessions, and by organizing
The administrative expenses of the association shall be covered
exclusively by public donations or by means of the budget approved
by the University Senate after the recommendation of its finance committee.
ARTICLE 7. OFFICERS
Ticos in Gainesville will be coordinated by its board of directors. The
first board of directors was elected by public vote (by raising hands
during the Association's first General Assembly).
The next boards of directors will be elected once a year, during the
General Assembly. The votes will be individual and secret.
The officers required as part of the board of directors are:
President, Vice president, Secretary, Treasurer and Faculty Adviser.
Any vacant office in the board of directors should be filled calling to
new elections. Announcement of the vacancy and nomination for the
position shall occur at the next general meeting. Elections shall
take place at the general meeting subsequent to nominations.
If for any reason the office of the President becomes vacant,
the Vice President shall assume the office and duties of the President.
ARTICLE 8. POWERS AND DUTIES OF THE OFFICERS
Section 1. Powers and duties of the Faculty Adviser.
The duty of the Faculty Adviser is to give advice to the board of
directors and to the association's members in general, in order to
help in the good development of Ticos en Gainesville' purposes.
The Faculty Adviser should be a UF professor interested in the
diffusion of the Costa Rican culture. The selection of the Faculty Adviser will be done by the board of
directors by sending a formal letter to the candidate. If the candidate
accepts, his or her election has to be approved by the General Assembly.
Section 2. Powers and duties of the officers.
b) Vice President:
- Preside over general and executive meetings.
- Be the representative or delegate of Ticos en Gainesville inside and outside the
University of Florida.
- Call special meetings of the organization.
- Notify members of meetings and prepare agendas for all executive and general meetings.
- Assist the President in the performance of presidential duties.
- Assume the duties of the President when the president is absent.
- Compile minutes of organizational meetings.
- Maintain records of organizational meetings.
- Maintain record of all communication.
- Organize all mail and phone information.
- Maintain complete records of the organization's funds and assist in
- Prepare annual budget for Student Government senate budget committee (if we start having
funds given by UF).
- Alert the organization's members of any irregularity in the funds of the actual period or
in the funds from past administrations.
Ticos en Gainesville shall adhere to student Handbook and the student
rights, responsibilities, regulations, booklets, and other laws and
regulations governing the University of Florida and students.
STATEMENT OF ADHERENCE TO UNIVERSITY RULES.
ARTICLE 10. AMENDMENTS.
Any member may propose amendments to the constitution by submitting
a written copy of said amendment(s) to any member of the executive
committee. The constitution may be amended by a two-thirds vote of
members present. Proposed revisions will be presented, read and
discussed in a first meeting and will be voted on the second meeting.
Comments? Sugestions? Questions? Please write to
Vanessa Bravo, designer and web master
of this site.