Working with children
I have always enjoyed volunteering teaching children and trying to be a good role model for them. I never considered being a teacher growing up because my mom is a teacher. Being a stubborn child, I wanted to be different. I didn't want to be like my parents.
But I have matured since then. Now, I have realized that being a teacher is not only an option, but it is also a suitable option for me.
Here are some of the organizations that have allowed me to work with children and given me some great skills that will help me be a better teacher:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters: A mentoring program that helps children build skills and values that will help them have successful futures.
- People to People International: An organization dedicated to enhancing cross-cultural communication through service and understanding.
- Everglades Youth Conservation Camp: A residential summer camp program for children ages 8 to 14 that teaches them about environmental education, while living in the Florida Everglades.
- Alachua County School Board: There are several volunteer positions through the school board that allow you to interact with children in different ways and through different aspects of education.
One of my favorite ways to relax and have fun is to craft. I love all kinds of crafts: crocheting, painting and several other types. I even created a craft blog last year for one of my classes.
One of my favorite crafts that I have done is designing newspaper nails. Essentially, you can print newspaper copy onto your nails using a few household items.
Watch the video below for a summary of the steps.
What you’ll need:
- Rubbing alcohol
- Skin-tone nail polish
- Clear nail polish
- Cut 10 small strips of newspaper about the size of your pinky finger.
- Paint a base coat of a skin-tone nail polish. I used a light pink, but tan or beige works well, too.
- Let your nails dry completely.
- Dip one nail in the rubbing alcohol for about 10 seconds.
- Place one strip of newspaper over the nail that you dipped in rubbing alcohol. Press and hold for about 10 seconds. Remove the newspaper.
- Paint a clear coat of nail polish.
- Repeat for the rest of your nails.
What can I say? I'm a nerd for nature.
I love the feeling of grass beneath my feet, sand between my toes and mosquito bites all over me. OK, so maybe not the last one, but I love spending time outdoors, even if that means getting the occasional bug bite or two.
Another thing I love about nature is that it allows me to take pictures and capture the moment.